Sunday, October 9, 2011

Death in Family

This week had been terrible for me, I was about to finally plonk on the bed on Wednesday night when I received a disturbing call from my boyfriend about his father falling off the roof and being hospitalized. Yes, it was shocking for me, because I was just coming back to Cyber from seeing him last week-I sat for my driving test in Malacca and had passed at attempt number 2. So, with eyes barely awake, stomach growling I rummaged thru my fridge, found a bottle of stale whiskey and after a quick gulp of Jameson I drove down to Banting. It was my first time driving alone, heck it was my first time driving anywhere that far after getting my license! I told my parents to get ready and we leave at the first light of dawn to Malacca. I had hard time falling asleep, I was worried something terrible had happened, because when I had ringed my fiancee's mum she was crying on the phone. The fall must have been very hard for his dad, and the damage was bad that Satish's mum was lost for a sec. He was bleeding from his nose and ears and had gone unconscious. Within 12 hours, he had slipped into coma, and finally slipped from life altogether. In my rush to reach the hospital I scraped my car fender against the parking ramp..words weren't enough to describe the immense feeling sadness and grief when I walked into the ICU ward and heard his siblings chanting prayers surrounding his bed. I walked up to them, and my eyes swelled with tears. I think I went numb, I didn't know what to do. Just like in my grandmother's funeral when I was too numb to react, the same thing happened here also. Someone put my hand on his head and I rubbed his hair for a few times. It was still warm and soft. His hands were warm, but his whole body was swollen. I moved back and let his family continue with the praying. I messaged Satish and told him that his dad is dying...he was on life support and once the medicines stopped pumping into him, his reading went to a string of zeros. When Satish finally reached the hospital he hugged his father and cried out in pain..I think he probably blamed himself for his death but it was such an unexpected tragedy-falling off a roof while attempting to add netting to the windows, I mean from doing a routine job. It was too sad a scene, I can only imagine how hurt he must have been, all lost and lonely. I'm glad I took my Satish's advice to spend some time in Malacca with his aging parents, at least there's some good memories to go by these days....gosh can u imagine, if someone so close to your family dies unexpectantly? I think I'd go crazy, my nihilistic side of my would have taken over and blame God for everything. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brocade Blue,

    My deepest condolences to you and your boyfriend. I am truly sorry for your loss. May God be with you and help to carry you two through this very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete